Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Lower Provo River Fishing (July 30, 2011)

This morning is Saturday and this day I will be fishing with my son (Bryton), a friend from work and his two boys. My friend and his boys are new to river fishing so today I will be their guide. First I worked on teaching them the philosophy and fishing technique of jig fishing. After a little bit of work they all figured it out and started to catch fish. We worked one section for about 2 hours and we ended up catching 10 fish. One of the fish that I caught came as a suprise to me when I saw it was a small mouth bass. I have heard of small mouth bass being in this river but I have never caught one. This is a bad photo but still you can see it is a smallmouth bass from the red in the eye.

(Smallmouth Bass)

We got in our cars and went down to another spot on the river. I specifically brought my friend and his boys to this spot just to teach them how to read river patterns. This spot was a great example of a river seam and I explained to them to look for these seams because fish will be sitting next to them in the calmer part of the river looking into the seam waiting for food to float through. I told them to cast their jig just past the seam into the swifter section on the river and then float the jig down the seam. We stayed at this spot for about 30 mins but didn't catch anything.

We got back into our cars and moved further down river. We fished this new section for about an hour and the fishing was slow but one of my friend's son caught a Brown and I was able to catch 3 Browns. We had a good morning fishing and were able to catch 14 fish total. Even though I spent most of the time working with them and watching their technique I was still able to catch half of the total fish caught.

No comments:

Post a Comment