Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Lower Provo River Fishing (August 24, 2011)

I got up to the Lower Provo River this morning early at around 5:40 and it was still dark. I got my line setup and gear ready and walked down to the fishing hole. It was still very dark and hard to see. I first started with the jig and it was hard to see what I was doing and I casted about 8 times with the jig and caught nothing. I did bring an extra spin rod with a Silver Blue Fox spinner on it so I tried it out. I figured in the dark it would do good because it puts of a vibration. On my first cast I caught a fish. I reeled the fish to the banks near my feet and as soon as it got close to me it came off my line and it was still dark that I never got to see what it was. I continued to cast with the spinner and hooked a fish on my 5th cast and it got off then on about my 8th cast it got snagged on the bottom of the river which I couldn't get undone so I lost my spinner. At this point it was 6:20 am and now it is finally light enough to see the jig so I went to my jigging rod and started again. It didn't take long until I caught my first fish and it was a 16" Rainbow.

I continued to fish and caught a fish right in the middle of the river deep off the bottom. The fish stayed low in the water and wasn't moving much at this point I know that it was a big fish. I started to reel in the fish and he continued to stay at the bottom of the river and held his own as I started to get him closer to the river bank he started to fight. After a little bit of work I managed to get the fish out of the water and it was a really nice 18 1/4" Rainbow.


It was a good morning fishing. Between the times of 6:00 am - 7:45 am I ended up catching 9 fish total (7 Rainbows and 2 Browns).

No comments:

Post a Comment